Holy Italian Pilgrimage
A place of pilgrimage, piety and miracles - your journey through Italy will take you to the Vatican City, Assisi, Florence and Venice as you delve into centuries of Catholic history.
Travel Dates: From 10/10/2020 to 20/10/2020
Duration: 11 days
Call 2830 2899 and
quote deal number 5485747
- Dining Highlights
5 dinners (including Be My Guest)
First class travel Highlights
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
Daily breakfast and up to half your evening meals
Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
Optional Experiences and free time
All porterage and restaurant gratuities
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
VIP entry to many sights
Arrive Rome (4 Nights)
Our spiritual interlude with Italy begins in the Eternal City. On arrival, transfer to your hotel for a day of rest, or take to the streets exploring the city at leisure before meeting your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception this evening.
Rome Sightseeing and Free Time
Trace the history of religious Rome today. Start with a visit of St. Paul Outside the Walls, the burial site of St. Paul the Apostle. Now travel to the Vatican City where you'll join your 'Local Specialist' for a sightseeing tour of St. Peter's Square. You'll have some free time to explore, shop for mementos and even join a Mass in the Basilica if you wish. Gather in St. Peter's Square at noon to hear the Angelus prayer and receive the Papal blessing (subject to his availability). Later we’ll admire the 5th-century mosaics at St. Mary Major Basilica.
'Dive Into Culture' and gain priority access to the Vatican Museums this morning. Admire Michelangelo's magnificent frescoed ceiling in the Sistine Chapel when it is less crowded and visit St. Peter's Basilica to see Michelangelo's much-admired Pietà before crossing the Tiber to see Circus Maximus and visit the ancient Colosseum. Then join your 'Local Specialist' for a visit to the Archbasilica of St. John Lateran and see the Scala Sancta which have been declared Roman Catholic relics. These Holy Stairs are said to have been on the path that Jesus Christ walked on his way to trial during his Passion in Jerusalem, and were relocated by St. Helena to Rome in the 4th century. Today, the steps lead to the Sancta Sanctorum, the personal chapel of the early Popes. This evening you'll enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
Rome – Castel Gandolfo Excursion
This morning we travel to Castel Gandolfo, the summer residence of His Holiness. Visit the 17th-century Apostolic Palace, which has been opened as a museum by Pope Francis and walk in the footsteps of Popes throughout the centuries. Return to Rome where you will have the rest of the day to enjoy at your leisure.
Rome – Cascia – Assisi (2 Nights)
Embrace the impossible when you visit the shrine of St. Rita in Cascia and learn how she came to be known as the 'Saint of Impossible Causes'. Her body lies interred in a chapel inside the Basilica of St. Rita, which also preserves a 14th-century Eucharistic Miracle. We journey to Assisi next, where we'll visit the Basilica of Saint Mary of Angels. It was here that a young Francis of Assisi renounced the world to live in poverty among the poor and started the Franciscan movement. Enjoy two nights at one of Trafalgar's 'Stays With Stories' - a fully renovated Franciscan convent. After a day of devotion, spend the evening with your new friends enjoying dinner at your hotel.
Assisi Sightseeing and Free Time
This morning join a Franciscan friar for a guided sightseeing tour of the Basilica of St. Francis. After attending mass you'll have time for lunch on your own before meeting your 'Local Specialist' for the afternoon. Visit the Basilica of St. Claire and St. Damian Monastery where St. Francis began his religious journey, shedding his wealth and embracing the spirit of poverty. You'll also visit the Carceri Hermitage - a steep wooded sanctuary where the Saint once came to pray and contemplate.
Assisi – Siena – Pisa – Florence (2 Nights)
Continue to Siena where you'll meet a 'Local Specialist' for a walking tour of the city. Stroll through the ancient streets to Piazza del Campo where the colourful Palio horse race takes place every year. Then visit the Basilica of San Domenico and learn about the life of St. Catherine of Siena, one of the outstanding figures of medieval Catholicism who had a strong influence on the history of the papacy. Continuing our journey to Florence, we stop in Pisa to see its Square of Miracles and the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
There are few cities in the world with the artistic legacy that Florence enjoys and you'll have an opportunity to witness it first-hand when you join your 'Local Specialist' for a walking tour which includes views of the Duomo, Piazza della Signoria and Ponte Vecchio. Visit Santa Croce, the main Franciscan church in Italy, then take some time to shop for high-quality leather goods and 18-carat gold jewellery for which the city is famous. This evening you'll 'Connect with Locals' over a 'Be My Guest' dinner in the Chianti countryside.
Florence – Padua – Venice (2 Nights)
Our pilgrimage continues to Italy's Veneto region, where the medieval city of Padua is our next stop. Our visit will include a guided tour of "il Santo", the Basilica of Saint Anthony of Padua, the patron saint of Lost and Found. We'll enjoy a moving Mass in the basilica before continuing to Venice.
Venice Sightseeing and Free Time
This morning, we 'Dive Into Culture', admiring the extraordinary works of the master craftsmen on Giudecca Island as they reveal centuries of glassblowing tradition. Then cruise by private launch to St. Mark's Square where you'll join your 'Local Specialist' for a guided sightseeing tour including a visit to the Byzantine St. Mark's Basilica. You'll have a full afternoon to explore the labyrinthine calli of Venice on your terms before joining your travel companions for a memorable Farewell Dinner.
Your journey through Italy's most sacred and spiritual sites comes to an end. Airport transfers are available. Conditions apply.
ATTEND MASS in Rome, Assisi and Padua.
VIP ADMISSION to the Vatican Museums
CITY TOUR in Rome, Assisi, Siena, Florence, Padua and Venice
VISIT the four major Papal Basilicas, the Scala Sancta (Holy Staircase) and the Colosseum in Rome, Castel Gandolfo, the Shrine of St. Rita in Cascia, the Basilica of St. Francis, the Basilica of St. Claire and the Carceri Hermitage in Assisi, the Basilica Cateriniana in Siena, Santa Croce Cathedral in Florence, the Basilica of St Anthony in Padua and St. Mark's Basilica in Venice
VIEW the ancient sites of Rome, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio in Florence, St. Mark's Square, the Bridge of Sighs and the Doge's Palace in Venice
SCENIC CRUISE by private launch to St. Mark's Square in Venice
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 October 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.